I also find it fascinating that the same religious teachings that many people use to justify the oppression of women, the murder of satirists, the bombing of health clinics, the enslavement of people, and on and on, is used by many other people to fight against such.
Promoting these organizations is a great way to counter fundamentalism; if believers in a magical invisible super friend can also see that there are alternatives to religious practices of intolerance, oppression and violence, maybe they'll join up - they'll be a lot happier. We all will be a lot happier.
Some progressive Christian organizations that you might want to like and follow on Facebook:
- United Church of Christ
- pink menno - a grassroots group of Mennos committed to making the Mennonite Church a more welcoming community for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer folks
- Methodists in New Directions
- Reconciling Ministries Network (Methodists)
- Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists
Some of the progressive Islamic organizations I have found and "liked" on Facebook are:
- Universalist Muslims
- Muslims for Progressive Values
- Quranalyze It
- Sisters in Islam
- Interfaith Ramadan "Amplifying voices from all faiths & none. Promoting open dialogue, equality and freedom of beliefs."