Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Happy Carl Sagan Day!

"The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous."

Carl Sagan said that. And today is Carl Sagan's birthday. And Carl Sagan is worth celebrating.

The first time I heard Carl Sagan describe a scientific theory, I wept. I was watching a rerun of Cosmos. I was so blown away. It was poetry. It was gorgeous. And it was so incredibly understandable.

If you have never seen him, look at this YouTube video of him explaining the Scientific Theory of Evolution. Or watch his video of people's belief in "God and Gods." Great stuff. Beautiful stuff. Science and exploration as poetry. A celebration of humanity. It makes me feel inspired to face my day.

Understanding is joyous! And the seeking of understanding can be rapturous.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g&feature=share

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a really good one too... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete